Five Indiana middle school students have been named recipients of the 2014 Youth Power and Hope Award. The award recognizes fifth through eighth grade students who are active leaders in their community and whose parents live on electric cooperative lines in Indiana.
The 2014 recipients of the award are:
- Summer Allen, New Salisbury resident and Harrison REMC member. Eighth grade at North Harrison Middle School.
- Caroline Cooley, Connersville resident and Whitewater Valley REMC member. Seventh grade at Connersville Middle School.
- Emma Hamstra, DeMotte resident and Jasper County REMC member. Sixth grade at DeMotte Christian School.
- Carter Swathwood, Lafayette resident and Tipmont REMC member. Fifth grade at Hershey Elementary.
- BJ Yoho, Boomfield resident and UDWI REMC member. Sixth grade at Eastern Greene Middle School.
The students will be recognized at the Indiana Electric Cooperatives Annual Meeting on Dec. 9, where they will attend a breakfast in their honor featuring 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist David Boudia. They will also be featured in the December issue of Electric Consumer, which sponsors the awards.
Watch for your copy of the December Electric Consumer to learn more about these outstanding young people and how they’ve made a positive difference in their communities.